Greens Sarvapindi !!
Sarvapindi also known as Akki roti in some areas, is a Telangana dish ( a state of India ) a famous snack or brunch dish.. It is traditionally made in two varieties either using Green chilli paste or red chilli powder... They taste great either ways but might differ in appearance... The authentic way of making this involved the copper bowl n coal stove..but these days those are hard to find..and moreover they were teeth breaking n jaw hurting hard to eat..but after so many trials n errors initially , i finally could make one that are soft n chewable... These can be stored for couple of days depending on the weather.. These are filling and very satisfying so preferred during travel n long journeys as well !!
Ingredients : yields : 12
- 3 cups : Rice flour
- 2 cups : water + as required
- 1 cup : Regular Onions or Scallions finely chopped
- 1 cup : Spinach leaves chopped ( optional )
- 1/2 cup : Coriander leaves chopped
- Few curry leaves chopped
- 10 to 12 nos : Green chillies minced
- 2 tbsp : Sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil for pan frying
- In a deep pot add 2 cups of water and bring this to a soft boil..later stir in the rice flour and mix ...
- Later turn off the heat and transfer into a mixing bowl..
- Cool this for few minutes at room temperature...
- Next add the chopped spinach , scallions or onion , coriander , curry leaves , green chillies , salt , sesame seeds and by sprinkling water if required , knead this into a soft paliable dough...
- Cover and rest the dough for 10 minutes..later divide the dough into 12 equal portions ..
- Now press the dough ball onto a greased pan with the thickness of a roti and drizzle few drops of oil around the corners..
- Fry this on medium heat on both the sides until cooked and golden brown spots appear..
- Remove on to a plate and repeat the process until all are cooked ..
- The Telangana famous Sarvapindi is ready to munch with yoghurt or any chutney of your choice .Simple yet so satisfying !!
Notes : You can also add crushed roasted peanuts for extra crunch and other grated veggies like carrots , bottle gourd etc ...
- Do not make very soft dough as it gets sticky and gives a hard time to pat..
- Do not fry for long as they tend to harden if cooked for long...
We love it , hope you will love it too !!