Apple Pie !!
An Apple pie is a dessert dish with apple as its filling and has the pastry crust on both , the bottom and the top. On occasions it is served warm with a dallop of icecream or whipped cream.This is a double crust pie with the upper crust may be a circular or a pastry lattice woven of crosswise strips. Exceptions are deep-dish apple pie, with a top crust only, and open-face Tarte Tatin.
Ingredients : serves : 6
Ingredients : serves : 6
- For the pastry : 1 1/4 cup : All purpose flour / Maida
- 1/4 tsp : salt
- 100 gm or 1/2 cup : Cold Butter (cubed)
- 1/4 cup : Chilled water
- For the filling : 3 nos : Medium Apples (peeled and cubed)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp : Lemon juice
- 1 tsp : Cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp : All purpose flour / Maida
- 1/3 cup : Sugar
- In a food processor add the flour , salt and the cubed cold butter and run the processor until flour turns crumbly .
- Now remove this into a bowl and by adding chilled water little by little knead this until everything just comes together.
- Now wrap this with a cling wrap and chill the dough for an hour in a refrigerator.
- Meanwhile prep up the filling by mixing the cubed apple pieces with lemon juice ,flour , salt , cinnamon and sugar .
- Once mixed set this aside until use. Now coming back to the crust .Remove the chilled dough and unwrap the film.
- Divide the dough into two halves and take one half of the dough on to a floured surface and roll into thick disc enough to fit in a 7 inch pie dish .
- Now carefully lift and press the rolled dough into the greased pie dish .
- Next add in the apple filling and distibute equally over the pie crust..and set aside.
- Now roll the other half of the dough and make small holes here and there using a bottle cap or any cutter .These holes allow the steam to escape that is created while baking.
- Now lift this carefully and place over the pie . By pinching both the top and the bottom dough together seal the edges.
- Later trim of any excess dough falling over from the pie dish.
- Next brush the top with milk and bake in a preheated oven at 220°c / 425°f for about 25 to 30 mins or until a golden crust forms at the top .
- Now cool this over a wire rack for 10 to 15 mins.Later run a knife slowly along the edges of the pie dish and release the pie from the pan.
- Slice and serve warm with icecream or whipped cream .
- Bursting Cinnamon flavor , flaky pastry , succulent juicy apples makes this unique and stand out !
Key Points : :Butter and water used in pie crust have to be cold or chilled inorder to yield a flaky pastry .
Chill the dough for good hour before rolling.
Brush off the excess flour before pressing into a pie pan.
If you do not have food processor you can crumble the dough by using two forks or just your finger tips.
While doing this , if you feel the butter is melting with the warmth of your hands place it in the refrigerator until firm.
Instead of making holes to the pie top you can just make a couple of incisions with a knife too.
Making those holes or incisions allows the steam produced while baking to escape and helps us get a flaky crust instead of a soggy one !
You can brush the top with egg wash instead of milk .
Make and enjoy with your family and friends..
We love it , hope you will love it too !