Vegetable Kurma !! Restaurant style !!
I love and am always fascinated about restaurant style Kurma dishes, as of how subtle n flavorful they are !!!...
Tried to replicate it a number of times but could not deliver a exactly similar tasting dish...So atlast after numerous trials and errors i could succeed and proudly say that I made it !!!
Vegetable kurma is a coconut based mix veg gravy that goes well with roti/phulka/poori /rice etc...This is very mild n flavorful unlike the other spicy and masaledar gravies...Kids and adults will equally enjoy eating this...This dish is loaded with veggies and soothing coconut gravy that makes this a healthy one too, without any added fats...
- 1 medium : Onion chopped
- 1 large : Tomato chopped
- 1 Large: carrot diced
- 3 medium : Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup : Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup : Frozen / fresh peas
- 3 nos : Green chillies slit
- 1 tsp : Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp mustard and cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp : Coconut / vegeatable oil
- 1 tsp : Red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsop : Turmeric
- 1 tbsp : Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp : Sugar
- 1 tsp : Garam masala powder
- 1 1/2 cups : water
- Few sprigs : Coriander chopped
- 1/3 cup : fresh/ descicated coconut
- 10 to 12 whole : Cashews
- 1 tbsp : Fennel seeds
- 1 tsp : Poppy seeds
- In a pan add the oil ..once hot add the mustard and cumin seeds ...allow them to splutter..later add the slit green chillies,chopped onion and ginger/ garlic paste..
- Cook this on medium heat until onions turn translucent and raw smell from ginger garlic paste disappears..
- Now add the turmeric , coriander, red chilli powder and fry for a min..later add all the chopped veggies along with peas...
- Stir well and saute for a min or two and add water ...stir well n cook this covered for 10 mins or until veggies are 90% done..
- Meanwhile add the coconut , fennel seeds, poppy seeds and cashews to a blender jar and grind into smooth paste adding water required..This paste has to be thick so add water as little as possible...
- Once the veggies are cooked add salt , sugar and ground paste...adjust the consistency as per u r choice ...the gravy will thicken further more once cooked / cooled...
- We prefer slightly thicker gravy so the water i used was perfect...
- Stir well and cook this covered for 5 more mins...
- Lastly check and adjust the seasoning ..
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder and chopped coriander ..stir well ...
- Turn off the heat and serve with roti/ phulka/poori/ rice. Tastes best either ways.
Make and enjoy with your family and friends...
We love it hope you will love it too !!!