Almond NanKhatai !! Desi shortbread cookies !!
Nankhatai are shortbread biscuits popular in India and Pakistan .The word Nankhatai is derived from Persian word Naan meaning bread and Khatai an Afghan word meaning Biscuit..These biscuits are bursting with flavors of butter n almonds..They are unbelievably crispy n flaky ...
These serve as perfect accompainment for tea n great pass time snacks during journeys..These tend to have a real long shelf life ..that might last up to a month easily when stored in airtight containers. So what else could be a better snack, to make n store than this ...??
Ingredients : yield : 20 cookies
- 1 cup : All purpose flour / Maida
- 1/2 cup : Gram flour / Besan
- 1/4 cup : Semolina / Fine sooji / Fine Upma rawa
- 1/2 tsp : Baking Soda
- 1 tsp : Cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup : Melted Ghee/ clarified butter
- 3/4 cup : Powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup : Chopped Almonds divided
- In a bowl add all the ingredients including half of crushed almonds ..
- Knead this into a dough ...this turns out like a short crust dough unlike other doughs that are soft n smooth..
- Next take a spoonful of dough n roll into a ball ..later press it gently ..resulting in peda shape..
- Shape the rest in the same manner and Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet..
- Now sprinkle remaining chopped almonds little over each peda n press gently so that they stick to the peda..
- Bake this in a preheated oven at 150°c / 300°f for 15 mins ..until slightly golden at the edges..
- Once baked let them sit on the baking sheet for couple of mins..later transfer them on to a wire rack n cool completely at room temperature..
- Place the cooled Nakhatai / cookies in a airtight container n cherish till the stock lasts ...
Yumm Yumm we love it , hope you will love it too !!
Make and enjoy with your family n friends !!