Spicy Brinjal Rice !!! Vangi rice with a twist !!!
Brinjal is known as king of Vegetables...
It is one of the most loved veggies...
Right from Bhaghara Baigan to Vangi bhaat,what ever made using Brinjals always turns out to be a super hit...!!
As i speak of Vangi bhaath , the popular dish from Karnataka is made using spices , tamarind and couple of lentils that are roasted and powdered ...
I wanted to try something other than regular Vangi bhaath so i came up with this Spicy n Flavorful ...Masale daar ...Brinjal rice !!!
It is not only easy to make but also so addictive and bursting with flavors ...make it once you will definetely make it on regular basis...Trust me !!!
For the masala powder :
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 8 to 10 pepper corns
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 to 4 red chillies
- An inch piece cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 3 tbsp desicated coconut
- These measurements are perfect for 2 cups of raw rice ....
- Dry roast everything except coconut on medium heat until golden and aromatic..
- Lastly add coconut powder...fry for a min or two..
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool at room temperature ..
- Once cooled , dry grind in a blender into coarse powder...
- You can make this ahead and store in an air tight jar ..stays good upto a week...
For Spicy rice :
- 1 Aubergine or 4 to 5 Brinjals long variety sliced into bite size pieces..
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 Dry red chilli broken to pieces
- Few pieces of cashews
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Few sprigs coriander chopped
- 2 cups rice ...washed n cooked seperately..
- Firstly wash and cook the rice seperately adding enough water n set aside..
- In a pan add oil..once hot ..add cashews and fry until light golden..
- Now add cumin and mustard seeds..
- Allow them to splutter ...later add the red chilli pieces and saute ..
- Now add sliced onion..
- Saute the onions until pinkish..
- Later stir in the turmeric and sliced brinjal..
- Sprinkle a 1/4 tsp of salt ..mix n cook until brinjal slices turn soft ...
- Now add the spice powder and enough salt for the rice ...
- Stir well and cook for a min or two..
- Later add the cooked rice and mix thouroughly until all the spice mix is coated to the rice..be gentle as brinjal slices will break ...
- Once mixed thouroughly ..sprinkle the chopped coriander ( i skipped coriander)