Shahi Tukda / Tukra !!!
Shahi Tukda ...its literal translation means "A piece of royal food " !! It is a Toasted bread piece with added rich flavors of creamy rabri and Saffron ..
Shahi tukda is a easy peasy dessert that can be made in a jiffy for any occasion with minimal effort n ingredients ...Moreover the stale/ old bread lying on your dinner table, that no one is paying attention to , works great for this !! ...
It is so flavorful , creamy n crunchy ...yumm yumm !! This is like a fusion of Rabri and double ka meetha the popular dessert from Hyderabad !!!
- 1 ltr : Full fat milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup : Sugar
- 4 : cardamom pods crushed
- A pinch : Saffron soaked in a tbsp warm milk
- 7 to 8 : Bread slices
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp : Roasted n chopped nuts
- In a deep non stick pan add the milk and bring this to boil..
- Once boiled , add sugar ...n keep cooking on medium stirring in intervals until reduced to half and thick..
- Later add the cardamom powder and saffron milk...
- Now keep cooking this for 5 more mins..later turn off the heat n allow it to cool at room temperature..
- Once cooled it will thicken a bit more..
- Now slice the bread into triangles after removing the edges of them..
- Meanwhile start heating up oil for deep frying in a deep pan / kadai..
- Once its hot reduce the heat to medium ...now deep fry the bread pieces until crunchy n golden...
- Drain them on to a paper towel..
- In a plate / bowl add the pieces of fried bread n pour the thick rabri over it n garnish with nuts..
So simple n flavorful..yet made the authentic way !!
Yumm yumm i'm lovin it !!
**Old bread works great for this as it absorbs less oil n gets crunchier n golden real quick..
** If you are using the fresh bread , sun dry them for an hour or so n use..
** If staying in cold countries like me where sun is just a guest ...toast in the oven on 180°c / 350°f for 12 to 15 mins until dried n slightly crisp..
Make n enjoy with your family n friends !!
We love it hope you will love it too !!