Moongdal Khasta Kachori !!!
After the moongdal namkeen its yet another moongdal delicacy , the traditional khasta kachori..
The crispy n flaky interiors with flavorful n crumbly Dal filling makes it a perfect tea time accompaniment...
For the crust : yield : 12 kachori's
- 2 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water as needed..
For the filling :
- 1/2 cup split yellow moongdal
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp fennel / saunf powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1tsp coriander / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Few sprigs of coriander / cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- Wash n soak the dal in enough water for 2hrs..
- Later drain the water n add it to a blender n grind into coarse paste without adding any water..
- In a non stick pan add oil ...once hot add cumin seeds ..allow them to splutter
- Later add the chopped green chillies n dry masalas i.e.. salt , chilli powder, fennel powder, dhania powder, turmeric, chaat masala..
- Saute for a min ..n add the moongdal paste..
- Now fry this until dry n crumbly ...stirring in intervals ..
- Using a non stick pan really helps here or else the mixture will be sticking to the bottom of the pan...giving us a hard time to fry..
- Once fried add the coriander leaves n stir..
- Now remove this on a plate and allow it to cool at room temperature..
- Meanwhile divide the dough into 12 equal portions..
- Roll into balls n pat each one into small discs keeping the middle a slightly thicker than the edges..
- Next add a spoonful of filling ..
- Now seal the edges , bringing all the edges to the centre and pinching them ..as we do for stuffed parathas..
- Once all are filled n sealead ..pat them into thick discs by hand or by rolling with a rolling pin..but be gentle as they will easily tear apart..
- Simultaneously start heating up the oil for deep frying the kachoris in a pan / kadai..
- Once all are rolled n ready ,deep fry them on low to medium heat..
- The frying might take 10 to 12 mins so be patient..
- Frying on low to medium heat is necessary to get the flaky n crispy crust, if you fry on high they will be dense n chewy..
- Do not over crowd ..fry 3 to 4 kachoris at a time ..
- Once fried to golden drain them on a paper towel ..
- Repeat the same until are fried to perfection...
They taste so great that dip/ chutney is not necessary at all..
All u need is a cup of hot beverage of u r choice..
Make n enjoy with your family n friends..
We loved it hope you will love it too !!!