Handvo !! Gujrati snack !! Lentil bake !!
My Take.. On The Gujrati Delish Handvo...,,, I've become a die heart fan of it from the day i ate it at our farewell party in USA,, made by my dear Aunt n friend Harsha ji...but never took the initiative to attempt it...who says only pregnant woman crave, even we do... since yesterday started to crave for it n here it comes The Golden Baked Handvo!!!!!!!!!
Easy to make no expertise required...
- 1 cup : Long grain rice
- 1/4 cup : Chana dal
- 1/4 cup : Toor dal
- 2 tbsp : urad dal
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 2 tsp : Ginger garlic paste
- 4 green chillies : finely chopped
- 1 medium Bottle gourd / Lauki / zuchini peeled n grated
- 1 medium carrot peeled n grated
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds/ ajwain
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing /Asoefetida
- 2 dry red chillies broken into pieces
- Wash Rice and all Dals and soak them for at least 4-6 hours.
- Drain water from Rice/Dal and coarsely grind them with Yogurt using Food processor or blender .
- In a wide bowl add the dal batter, ginger garlic paste, green chillies,( i have ground them along with dal..so missing in pic ) salt , sugar, ajwain, turmeric powder, carrot and zuchini/ lauki grated..n mix well..
- In a small pan heat 1 tsp of oil add the curry leaves ..once they splutter turn off the heat and add it to the batter...mix well..
- Cover this batter n set at room temperature overnight....
- Next morning add eno fruit salt n mix well ..
- The batter will be foamy n bubbled up..
- Grease a cake pan meanwhile..
- Now add this batter to the greased pan n bake at 180°c / 350°f for 40 mins or until golden and perfectly cooked...
- In a skillet add the remaining oil ...once hot add the mustard seeds ,hing, sesame seeds allow them pop. .add broken dry red chilly pieces fry for a min and later add it to the baked handvo...
- Once cooled to room temperature ..slice n serve...
Tastes way too good !!
A perfect breakfast, brunch or snack option...
Preferred ones during long journeys as well...All in all a wholesome dish !!!