Carrot Cauliflower Overnight Pickle !!
Raw mangoes are not yet available here so tried this Carrot Cauliflower pickle instead ...this absolutely matches my cravings...hence desire fulfilled...
This pickle is so tasty n flavorful yet done in a jiffy ...requires just a few ingredients that are lying in our pantry...
- 2 cups Cauliflower florets, small bite sized
- 2 cups Carrots peeled n chopped into bite sized
- 3 tbsp Sesame / peanut / any oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 Dry red chillies broken into pieces
- 3 tbsp Mustard seeds powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cumin n fenugreek powder
- 4 tbsp Red chilli powder or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 5 to 6 Garlic cloves roughly crushed
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Lemon / lime juice or to taste
- In a bowl add the mustard powder, cumin n fenugreek powder, turmeric , red chilli powder and salt..
- Cut the cauliflower and carrot into small pieces and set aside..
- In a pan add oil..once hot add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli pieces n fry until the seeds splutter and red chillies change in color a bit..
- Later add the crushed garlic n saute for a min or two..
- Now turn off the heat and allow it to cool at room temperature..
- Once cooled add it to the powders in the bowl and mix well...
- Next add the chopped cauliflower and carrots...
- Mix well without breaking the florets until well incorporated..
- Now add the lime juice little by little n mix well...initially start off with 3 tbsps n gradually increase if required by checking its taste...
- Adding Lime juice depends on its tartness ...i added around a little more than 1/4 cup..
- Taste has to be really sour as the veggies will absorb the lime juice and by the end of the day it will be slightly sour like pickled mangoes..
- Once added lime juice mix well and keep it covered for 2 hrs to overnight depending on the weather...
- I kept it overnight as its still quiet cold out here..
- Next morning it released lot of its juices and the veggies slightly softened a bit..
- The more u ferment the more they soften..
- I like my veggies a bit crunchy so overnight was just perfect for me..
Yumm yumm ...writing itself salivates my mouth...
- ***you can make Mustard powder and cumin fenugreek powders at home as well...
- For mustard powder just dry grind few spoonfuls of mustard seeds..
- For cumin n fenugreek powder..dry roast equal amounts of cumin and fenugreek seeds on low heat until golden n aromatic...cool to room temperature and grind..Powders are ready to be used in pickles..
Why to wait until mangoes are here...Till then make this n enjoy with your family n friends...
We loved it hope you will love it too !!!