Bombay / Karachi halwa ...easiest way ever !!
Really excited to share this post as it is my first hundredth post...Yay !! Made it to 100!! with all u r support n encouragement..
When u share a good news its always done with a sweet ...so following the same tradition here is my version of Bombay / Karachi halwa...
Punjabi Chandu Halwai Karachiwala is a well known Halwai shop in Mumbai.It was originally established in Karachi in 1896.
Its owners moved to Mumbai after the partition of India.Karachi halwa , also known as Bombay halwa was popularized by Halwai's moving from Karachi..
Its making procedure differs from region to region...Maida / cornflour/ sago is used as the main ingredient in its making...
I prepared it using cornflour which made my job easier than ever !!!
- 1/2 cup Cornflour
- 1 1/2 or 1.5 cups water
- 1 1/2 or 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup water for sugar syrup
- 1/4 chopped cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp Rose essence or cadamom powder
- A pinch of Orange food color optional
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Few chopped pistachios for garnish optional
- Firstly dissolve the corn flour adding one and half cups water...without any lumps..
- Next grease a pan or plate with ghee to set the halwa..
- Later add the orange or any food color of u r preference to corn flour mix , stir well n set aside until use..
- Next add the sugar and 1 cup of water to a pan and bring it to boil on medium heat..
- Once the sugar is dissolved , boiling n frothy
- Sugar syrup has to be boiling n frothy no need of any string consistency..
- Stir continously n cook on medium heat until thick..do not forget to stir..
- After a while you will observe small transparent bits here n there...this means that mixture is heated up n ready to thicken in a min or so...
- So keep stirring n cooking..
- The mixture might take another 2 mins to thicken...
- Now the mixture is thickened..keep stirring n cooking after a min add the chopped cashews...
- Stir well and add the ghee and rose essence or cardamom powder..
- Mix well until ghee is incorporated..
- Keep stirring n cooking until the halwa starts to leave the sides of the pan ..
- Once you attain this texture pour the halwa into the greased pan..
- Now allow this cool n set at room temperature for an hour or so..
- Later garnish with chopped pistachios n cut into desired shapes ..
Its so simple yet so delicious..unbelievable that its made using just 2 tbsps of ghee unlike the store bought ones that uses lots n lots of ghee...
We loved it hope you will love it too !!