Batata Pav / Potato stuffed buns !!!
One amongst the other plus factors of Mumbai is Vada pav..i might sound silly but trust me .. I loved eating Vada pav's more than anything while our stay in Mumbai..
But making them at home from scratch is a multi step process..
Making the vada's then the pav and the chutneys..phew !! time consuming..
Then i came up with a thought why not stuff the vada inside the pav n bake ...healthy & can be done in no time..moreover no deep frying..
So here is my very own Batata pav !!! Aka Potato stuffed buns !!!
For the Buns :
- 250 gms / 2 cups All purpose flour or Maida
- 12 gms / 1.5 tsp Instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/ 4 to 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp oil ( i used olive oil )
- 1/4 cup Milk for brushing
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Extra flour for dusting
- 2 Medium sized Potatoes ( boiled, peeled n mashed coarsely)
- 2 Green chillies finely chopped or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Chaat masala powder
- Few sprigs coriander/ cilantro chopped( i skipped it )
- A pinch of turmeric
- 2 tbsp fresh / frozen peas
First prepare the stuffing ...
- just mix all the ingredients listed in the stuffing section...And set aside..
- Start off with the yeast now..in a bowl take the warm water around 3/4 cup initially..
- Next add the sugar stir well and add the yeast to it..
- Keep it covered for 10 to 15 mins until proofed n frothy..
- In a wider bowl add the flour and salt ..stir well..
- Now add the yeast mixture and oil and knead into a soft dough ..if required add additional 1/4 cup of water..
- Once all the flour is kneaded ...dust a counter top with flour ..transfer the dough on to it..
- Now start kneading the dough for a good 10 mins..this helps in developing the gluten ..
- Kneading is the key for any bun or pav as it helps in the rising..
- Once its soft n non sticky ..transfer it to a greased bowl...
- Cover and set this in a warm place until doubled...
- Later take it out on to a lightly floured surface..
- Punch down the air and knead for a min..
- Now divide the dough into four ...shape into balls ..place on a greased tray n set aside covered for half hour..
- It will be risen n doubled by now..
- Later remove one dough ball punch out the air , knead lighly and pat into a disc..
- Next place a spoonful of potato mixture in the centre..
- Now bring all the edges together n seal them as we do for parathas..
- Once its sealed ..shape it gently into a smooth ball ...
- Meanwhile grease the baking tray with oil / butter and dust with flour..
- I have prepared Aluminium Foil rings to attain perfectly shaped buns ....
- Now place the foil rings on the greased n dusted pan.. Preparing these foil rings is absolutely optional..these just help in attaining a perfectly shaped buns...
- Now repeat the process of kneading ,patting, filling , sealing , shaping with the rest three dough balls as well..
- Once done place them in the centre of the prepared rings..
- If u r not making the foil rings ..just place them leaving atleast an inch gap between each other balls and the edges of the pan as well...
- Cover this with a lint free damp cloth n set aside for 20 mins ...
- Later they will be doubled and spread..
- Now gently brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds..
- Now bake them in a preheated oven at 200 °c / 392°f approx for 20 to 25 mins or until golden brown crust is formed...
- Once baked to perfection ..remove and cool them slightly at room temperature..
The Batata buns or Potato stuffed buns are ready to dig in... lastly brush the tops with melted butter....
They are so soft ..pillowy, n flavorful ..
Serve them warm with a cup of hot hot beverage..
Perfect evening snacks, might be your dinner too...as they are so filling n satisfying u don't feel like having anything else !!!...
Make and enjoy with u r loved ones..
Its not complicated as it seems ..just wanted to mentioned each and every detail so it seems lengthy n complicated ..but trust me you will enjoy making n serving not to forget, eating too!!
We loved it hope you will love it too !!!