Quick Veggie Biryani !!!
During the weekends when hubby n kids are at home ...I just dont feel like entering the kitchen... so I always look for recipes that are quick n nutritious as well ...
There are so many versions of Biryani's out there but this is real quick no marinating, no grinding , no frying absolutely no labour involved...moreover done in one pot ...
Tastes delish too !!!
- 1.5 cup Basmati rice
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups mixed vegetables cut into bite size pieces(i used carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, cauliflower)
- 1/4 cup peas
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- An inch piece cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- Few pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds/ saunf
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp each oil n ghee
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Biryani masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 cup fried onions
- Few saffron strands
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 tbsp roasted cashew pieces
- Few sprigs of coriander chopped
- Few springs Mint / pudina chopped
- First wash n soak the Basmati rice in water for 15 mins..
- In a deep non stick pan add the oil n ghee..
- Once hot add the cumin, fennel , whole garam masala , pepper corns n saute for a min..
- Next add the chopped onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste..
- Saute until onions turn pink n raw smell from ginger garlic paste evaporates..
- Next stir in the chopped potato, carrots and peas..
- After a min or two of frying add the chopped cauliflower..
- Meanwhile take yoghurt/ curd in a bowl add the red chilli powder, coriander cumin powder, biryani masala, garam masala..n stir well..
- Stir this curd mixture to the veggies in the pan..
- Stir n cook this until oil droplets are formed at the top..
- Drain the water from rice and add it to the pan..pour in 2.5 cups of water as well..
- Cover this with a lid n bring this to a gentle boil..
- When you observe small bubbling ..add the chopped bell pepper, cauliflower, cashews, chopped coriander n mint , fried onions and salt as well...
- Stir this n cook it covered for 15 mins on medium heat or until water is 85% evaporated..
- At this stage add the saffron dissolved / soaked in warm milk..
- Stir n cook until all the moisture is evaporated..
- Quick veggie Biryani is now ready to be served !!!
So flavorful n filling meal is all ready to dig in !!!
Make n enjoy ...we loved it hope you will too !!!