Penne Tomato pasta with Indian touch !!!
Pasta is the staple food of traditional Italian Cuisine ... its one of the most loved dish by one n all...But somehow i never felt connected to the Italian versions ...
Since childhood we are so used to flavors n spices that cream n cheeses loaded pasta were way too boring to me !!
So added my own twist & in a way Indianised it ...
Ingredients : For Pasta :
- 500 gms Penne pasta
- Tomato pasta sauce as needed / 500 ml
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 peeled n Julienned carrot
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp mixed italian herbs
- 1 tsp Dry Basil
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 Mozarella cheese
- 1 tbsp Parmesan ..
All the seasonings can be adjusted to taste ...if using homemade decrease the spices to half than mentioned...If using store bought these measurements are perfect...
For sauce :
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 6 large cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 kg Ripe Tomatoes blanched , peeled and diced...
- 1 Big Green Pepper / Capsicum chopped
- 2 tsp salt /to taste
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp dried Dill
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Red chilli flakes
cooking the sauce :
- In a wide pan /skillet over heat oil over medium heat ..
- Now add the crushed/ chopped garlic saute for a min or two...
- Next add the tomatoes ..increase the heat to high n add salt n pepper , herbs , spices and stir to combine..
- When the mixture starts boiling reduce to low n continue cooking for an hour stirring Occasionally until the mixture becomes thick , chunky n till all the water evaporates..
- Taste n adjust the seasoning if required...
- Cool n store in refrigerator until use..
Method For cooking Pasta :
- Boil the pasta in enough water with a tsp of oil and salt according to the package instuctions..
- Mine took 8 mins ...
- Once cooked to 90% drain using a colander n set aside...
- In a pan add oil once hot add the chopped garlic..sliced onion n carrots..
- Cook for a min or two...now add the store bought or homemade tomato based pasta sauce...
- Cook for a couple of mins and add the dry spices i.e.. mixed herbs , basil , red chilli powder, pepper powder, salt etc..
- Stir well n cook for a min...
- Next add the cooked pasta ...n mix well..
- Cover with a lid n cook for couple of mins of low heat...
- At last sprinkle some grated Mozarella n parmesan cheese...
- Tomato penne pasta all ready to dig in...
We loved it hope you will too !!!