Dal Tadka !!! Dhabha style !!!
Dal tadka is a north indian dish made using multiple lentils...it is one of our favorite dhabha delicasies...
It tastes great with rice , roti and phulka..
No matter how many ever gravies or sides we make n eat...but having dal once in a while eases our senses...so comforting , nutritious n filling ...
- 3 tbsp Moongdal / yellow split lentil
- 2 tbsp Red masoordal or Toor dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp green split moong dal
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter/ oil / both mixed
- Salt to taste
- 1/4tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch piece ginger chopped
- 3 to 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 2 dry red chillies broken into pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom pods
- An inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor / dry mango powder
- 1/2 tbsp crushed Kasoori methi
Wash n soak the dals atleast for 30 mins...later pressure cook them adding enough water until mushy n soft...
Roast n roughly crush the coriander seeds n set aside..
Make puree of tomatoes n keep aside..
- In a pan add ghee or oil ..once hot add the whole garam masala i.e,, cardamom, cloves , cinnamon , bay leaf along with cumin seeds..
- Allow them to pop...next add in the crushed coriander seeds n saute for a min ..now add the broken red chilli pieces ..fry for a min ..n next goes in the finely chopped garlic and ginger pieces ...fry until garlic turns golden..
- Next add the chopped onions ..n fry until the onions turn golden too...
- Later add in the pureed tomatoes...n saute until tomatoes dry up n oil starts oozing out..
- Now its time to add the dry spices i.e.. turmeric ,garam masala , red chilli powder , cumin powder , coriander powder ,amchoor powder & a few coriander leaves.. stir n fry for 2 mins..
- Add the cooked dal now...stir well n add salt..saute for a min ..and add enough water adjusting the consistency...check for the seasoning..
- Cook this on low heat for 10 mins..
- Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves and crushed kasoori methi...n stir well...cover n cook for a min or two...
Finger licking goodness is ready to enjoy !!!