Cream Puffs / Profiteroles !!!
During our stay in germany my husband used to bring these divines almost every weekend & after moving here we started to miss them real bad....so tried my hands on it n could successfully make them ...so,, wanted to share it with u ppl...
Cream Puffs also called Profiteroles.. small,crisp,hollow round of choux pastry is split in half, filled with loads of sweet whipped cream and then dusted with powdered sugar...
Ingredients :Choux Pastry:
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) (57 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg for brushing the tops ..
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream (double cream) (35-40% butterfat)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar,or to taste
Powdered (Confectioners or
Prep work :
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly butter or spray the pan with a non stick vegetable spray.
- In a bowl sift or whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Place the butter and water in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. (Make sure that the butter melts before the water boils to reduce the amount of evaporation.)
- Remove from heat and add the flour mixture all at once n stir everything well until combined with a wooden spoon / whisk...
- Return saucepan to the heat and stir constantly until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a thick smooth ball (about 1-2 minutes).
- Transfer the dough to your electric mixer, or use a hand mixer, and beat on low speed to release the steam from the dough (about a minute).
- Once the dough is lukewarm start adding the lightly beaten eggs (dough will separate and then come together) and continue to mix until you have a smooth thick paste .
- Spoon or pipe 12 small mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. With a pastry brush, gently brush the tops of the dough with a lightly beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Continue to bake for a further 30 to 35minutes or until the shells are a nice amber color and when split, are almost dry inside.
- Turn the oven off n allow them to cool on baking tray itself..
- Whipped Cream: In a large mixing bowl place the chilled whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar and stir to combine.
- whip the cream just until stiff peaks are formed .
- To Assemble: Split/ cut open the pastry shells in half ...
- Fill (or pipe) with whipped cream. Place the top half of the pastry shell on the whipped cream and dust with powdered (confectioners or icing) sugar.
Perfect cream puffs ready in no time...
For the fillings u can try different variations like custard, pastry cream , chocolate , chopped fruits over cream etc..
Make n enjoy cream puffs at home...
Bye Bye Bakeries !!!!