Calzone / Folded Pizza , 50:50 version !!!
A Calzone is an italian oven baked filled pizza , shaped like a folded pizza.
The Calzone originated in Naples..
Taste wise their might not be much of a difference to that of a Pizza but look wise it definetely differs .. For me as a sweet lover it more looks like Kajjikaya but the savory version ..Lol !!
No nothing to do with sweet just kidding ...!!
for the sauce...
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion/ shallots chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder / flakes
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp Parsely fresh / dry
- Salt to taste
- First n foremost..blanch the tomatoes..peel the skin..mince it ..n set aside.
- In a pan add Olive oil ..once hot add the chopped garlic..
- Once the garlic turns golden add the chopped onions/ shallots..
- Saute until onions sweat n turn pinkish..
- Now stir in the minced tomatoes..
- Cook this until moisture from tomatoes evaporates n oil starts oozing out..
- Next add the dry herbs , chilli powder/ flakes and salt..
- Stir well n cook for a minute or two..
- Later turn off the flame ..cool n store until use..
- 1.5 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- For stuffings : I used Sundried tomatoes, olives, sweet corn , spinach , mixed peppers, onions ...all cut into bite size ....or else use as per your taste n preferences..
- 1 cup shredded cheeses of choice..i used just the Mozarella ...
- In a bowl add the warm water i.e just above body temperature .. to it add the sugar and yeast n stir well..
- Keep it covered for 10 mins until proofed n frothy...
- Next in a wide bowl add the flours, salt , honey and olive oil..
- Now add the yeast mix n knead into a soft dough...
- Later transfer this onto a floured surface ...
- knead for good 10 mins until its soft n non sticky..
- Now transfer this to a greased bowl..
- Cover and set this aside until doubled n risen or for an hour...
- Meanwhile prep up the fillings..
- U can use your imagination n fill watever u wish right from barbeque meat to chopped pineapple to chopped veggies..i used Sundried tomatoes, olives, sweet corn , spinach , mixed peppers, onions ...all cut into bite size ....
- Later punch the dough n divide into two portions ..
- Now dust the counter top n start rolling one portion of dough into rectangular shape..and transfer on to a parchment paper..
- Now spread half of the sauce over the rolled sheet..as shown..
- Next sprinkle half of the toppings
- Now bring the other half over the front half n fold into half..
- Press the edges firmly with fork ensuring they are sealed perfectly..
- Apply milk over the top and sides..this helps in getting perfect golden color tops..
- Make slits in the center with a knife for the air to escape while baking..
- Sprinkle few cheese strands over the top..
- Now bake this in an preheated oven at 200 °c or 392° f for 20 to 25 mins or until golden baked..
- Once baked remove ..allow it cool for few mins ..later cut into slices n serve..
Perfectly golden n cheesy goodness ..
Moreover its partially whole wheat version !!
Make your brunch n dinner times tastier than never before !!!
We loved it hope you will love it too !!!