BisiBele bhath !!!
Bisibele bhath ...is a rice based dish of Karnataka state in India ..
Bisi means hot , Bele means lentil and bhath meaning rice...
My co.sister belongs to Karnataka and she was the one who introduced me to this wonderful spicy lentil rice...since the first time i tasted it, i have become a huge fan of it...all we need is just some curd n papad to go along with it...
So soft n comforting food !!!
- 1 cup sona masoori rice
- 1/3 cup red lentil / Masoor dal ( u can use toor dal as well...(we prefer masoor dal as its kind of light on tummy )
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 cup chopped veggies ( carrots, beans , potato etc )
- 1/4 cup green peas ( fresh / frozen )
- 2 green chillies slit
- 2 dry red chillies broken into pieces
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- A golf ball sized tamarind ( soak n extract juice )
- Red chilli powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp dhania / coriander powder
- 1tbsp MTR sambhar masala ( this works fine for me ...never bothered to make sepearte masala )
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- A pinch hing / asoefetida
- 4 cups Water
- Few sprigs cilantro / coriander chopped
- Few roasted cashew for garnish ( optional )
Wash n soak dal n rice..for 15 mins..
- In a pressure pan / cooker add the oil ,once hot add the mustard , cumin seeds..allow them to pop ...
- Next add in the hing ,curry leaves ( i did not add )...green chillies and red chillies..fry for a min..
- Then add the sliced onion ...fry until translucent..
- Now add the turmeric and chopped veggies along with peas and tomato...
- Fry n cook for a minute or two..
- Now add the soaked rice n dal...stir well ..
- Add in the water n pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles...
- Once the pressure is released ..open the cooker / pan...now add in the tamarind extract along with dry spices i.e..salt , red chilli powder , dhania powder , sambhar masala and stir until well mixed...
- Add little water if its thick....mix well n heat for a while ...
- Now add the ghee n chopped coriander leaves..
Lip smacking comfort food loaded with proteins n nutrients ready to dive in !!!