Balushahi / Badushah/ Makkan peda !!!
Badushahi is a traditional dessert of Indian Cuisine..while the ingredients & outlook are similar to a glazed donut but taste & texture are totally different...
There are so many ways to make this and many more names to call this dessert ..no matter how u make or call ,the taste is to go flat for ,The flaky & sugary exteriors , soft & succulent interiors make this a fabulous treat for any special occasion or festivals !!!
For the Donut / Peda : yield : 18 to 20 .
- 3 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 100 gms Butter ( softened at room temperature )
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- A pinch of Baking soda
- Water as needed
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder or a pinch of saffron...
- Oil for deep frying..
- Sift the all purpose flour , baking powder and baking soda together n take it out to wide bowl..
- Add the softened butter to the flour mixture & mix until well incorporated resulting in crumbly texture...
- Now start kneading the dough by adding water little by little..
- The dough has to stiff n tight..
- Cover it with a lid n set aside until use..
- In another wide bowl add sugar n water & bring this to a boil until one string consistency...
- Now turn off the heat , add saffron or cardamom powder n stir ...n set this aside as well ..
- Coming back to the dough now...make small dough balls ..(i could make around 18 ) flatten a bit n make dents in the centre...
- Meanwhile start heating oil in a pan for deep frying , on medium heat..
- Once all the balls are rolled n ready, start deep frying on low to medium heat..fry three to four at a time ..do not over crowd as the temperature of oil falls down doing so...
- Always keep heat controlled ..never fry on high ..
- Frying on low to medium heat ensures that they are fried perfectly resulting in flaky texture or else they will not puff up n remain small..
- Once they turn golden on both sides remove draining the excess oil and add them to sugar syrup ..
- Now repeat the same until all are fried ..
- Let them sit in sugar syrup atleast for 2 hours so that it soaks up the syrup ..
Made this yummy dessert on the occasion of My son's Birthday as its one of his favorites...
Simple efforts make our occasions even more special ..so u too go ahead n make urs special too !!!