Apple Turnover/ Pies!!! Valentines day treats ...
Sharing this easy made dessert recipe for all the non chocolate lovers like my Hubby..
Its not a must that all the Vday treats have to be heart shaped or Red in color or only made out of chocolate...anything made with love ultimately tastes good !!!
I know, no one would like to spend all the day whipping up some tasty dish for u r loved ones instead of sharing some quality time with them...
These Apple turnovers or pies are made in a jiffy without taking any time & are very tasty loaded with the goodness of apples n cinnamon...
- 3 to 4 apples peeled, cored and cubed
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Zest of a lemon
- 2 tbsp unsalted /salted butter
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour/Maida
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt ( if using salted butter quit the salt )
- 2 sheets of Puff pastry thawed (i used store bought )
- 1 egg beaten for brushing the tops / 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp extra brown sugar or as required for sprinkling ..
- Firstly thaw the puff pastry at room temperature for few hours until soft or in the refrigerator for over night..
- Next...in a pan add the butter once melted add the peeled, cored n diced apples..
- Cook them for a min..
- Next add the salt ( if using unsalted butter), cinnamon and brown sugar..
- Keep stirring n allow the sugar to melt ..
- Continue cooking until apples turn soft a bit..
- Next stir in the flour n mix thouroughly ..so that lumps are not formed...
- Cook this mixture on low heat for a min or two..
- Now turn off the flame n let the mixture cool down..
- Unwrap the puff pastry sheets and unroll them on a floured surface or parchment..
- Cut these into equal squares..around four squares of each sheet..
- Now place a spoonful of apple mix in the centre so that we can fold these into triangles...
- Now brush the edges with milk or eggwash ..
- Now close these into triangles n seal the edges by pressing with a fork..
- Make a slit in the centre of each pie with a knife..and brush the tops with egg or milk..
- Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar..
- Now place the pies on a baking tray lined with parchment..do not crowd ..leave atleast two inches gap between each of them as they spread n rise while baking..
- Place the tray in an preheated oven at 400°F or 180°c and bake for 18 to 20 mins or until golden ...
- Once baked remove n cool a bit at room temperature..
Make your Vday special with these irresistables..
Tastes great when served warm n much more better with a scoop of icecream or with a gentle drizzle of caramel ...