Masala Dosa !!!
Weekends will always remain special as its family time !!!
Presenting Sundays special breakfast "Masala Dosa" ...
So tummy filling n mentally satisfying , as it reminds me of home ...
2 cups parboiled rice
1/2 cup split and husked Black Gram (Dhuli Urad)
1/4 cup chana dal
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
Oil / Ghee to smear the pan for cooking the dosas
For the Masala for Dosas:
- 500 gm (3 cups) potatoes-boiled, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups onions-sliced not very thin
- 2 green chillies-chopped coarsely (optional)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves or 1/2 tsp dried curry leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash and soak the rice in one container and the dals and fenugreek seeds together in another container for 5-6 hours or over night, depending on the weather.
- Grind dal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Next grind the rice smooth too and mix the two batters.
- Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment over-night or more depending on the weather, till a little spongy.
- If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it,
spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan. Put desired filling in the center, and fold the two edges over.
- Serve accompanied with sambhar and chutney.
For the Masala Filling:
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chillies, and saute over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well, before adding the potatoes.
- Turn the potatoes around till well mixed, and add the water, and let it simmer, for 2-3 minutes.