Falafel, Pita bread ,Tahini !!
Falafel is a middle eastern food...this dish was introduced to me by my husband...
During his short stay in Israel he tasted this..when he returned back home,, he was praising this dish like never before..
And it made me curious to taste it..atlast when i tasted it in an outlet ..i couldn't agree more..
The Falafel balls are made of chickpeas and are topped with salads, pickled olives n gerkins , and drizzled with tahini sauces...
It can be eaten alone as a snack or stuffed in pita pockets...
So without any more delay...heading towards the process...
- 1 cup Chickpeas / kabuli chana
- 5 to 6 Garlic clives
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup flat Parsley / coriander can be substituted..
- 1 tsp Crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 23 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- salt to taste
- 2 Green chillies chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Oil for frying
1. Wash well and the Garbanzo Beans in fresh water overnight or a minimum of 8 hours.
2. Once ready to prep, rinse the Garbanzo beans once again, drain, and put them in a Food Processor.
3. Process till it becomes a bread crumb consistency.
4. Pour out into a bowl and keep aside.
5. In the Food Processor, drop in the Garlic, Green Chilli, and the Onions. Food process a couple of whirls.
6. Add in the Herbs – Mint, Parsley & Cilantro.
7. Process till it is all breaks down to the same size as the Garbanzo Beans.
8. Pour out and combine well with the Garbanzo Beans.
9. Add in Salt, Pepper, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Baking Soda.
10. Mix well. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for 15-20 min. to allow the flavors to combine.
11. Meanwhile, heat Oil in a flat skillet on medium heat.
12. Once hot, make patties/balls of the mixture with your hands.
14. Remove and place on a paper towel .
Pita pockets / bread...
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour /Atta
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water at room temperature
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour for dusting...
- Add the yeast and sugar to warm water, mix n set aside to froth..
- It might take 10 to 15 mins..
- In a large bowl mix the flour and salt.
- Once mixed make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture..
- Add in the water that us at room temperature little at a time and knead it into a dough..
- The dough has to be slightly stickier unlike chapati dough..
- Coat another bowl with oilve oil n place the dough smearing the dough with oil as well..
- Take a knife and make an 'X' on the top of the dough ball..
- Cover and set aside for an hour until its risen..
- Once doubled ..dust the counter with flour and knead well..
- Knead the dough by pushing and then folding repeat this process until all the flour is used and not sticky anymore..
- Once well kneaded ..take small portions n roll out balls..
- Roll out the balls perfectly with any cracks or creases..
- Once all the balls are rolled out keep them covered with a damp cloth for 10 mins..
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 230°c or 450°f with the baking sheet in it or a pizza stone..
- Roll out the balls just like chapatis but into ovals not rounds ..(not too thick nor thin.
- Once rolled place on the hot baking tray and watch them puffing beautifully..
- Bake for about 4 to 5 mins ..now remove n flip them iver n bake for another 2 to 3 mins..
- Cut the ovals into halves once cooled..
- Now the pita pockets are ready to be stuffed n served...
Wonderfully wide opened pitas...
Last but not least Tahini paste / sauce...
- 1/2 cup White sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 4 Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime / lemon juice
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on a low heat without changing the color ,,until crisp..
- Transfer onto a plate n allow them to cool..
- Once cooled add everything in the ingredients except water,, n grind into a smooth paste adding water little be little..
- Check for the seasoning if requires add in more salt n lemon juice..
- Now the dip is ready to be served with Falafel...or any other dumpling of choice..
Tastes good with any ...
Suggested toppings :
For serving : open the pockets, stuff the dumplings and toppings of u r choice and drizzle tahini sauce !!
Tasty n flavorful combo !!
Perfect Israeli snack is ready to enjoy !!
Tastes yumm ...love it !!
Bit time consuming but totally worth it ...!!
Make n enjoy woth your family n friends !!
We love it hope you will love it too !!