Dilkush !!! Irani cafe's delicacy !!! Eggless version..
Never tasted the authentic "Dilkush" sold at irani cafe's in Hyderabad ...
And this makes me sad, as i wasted all these years without enjoying this delicacy..From now on this is for sure a keep..
Humare dil tho wakhey mein hi Kush ,,,bahut Kush hogaye.... :)
Dilkush recipe without eggs :
For the Bread..
- 2 cups All purpose flour / Maida
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter( use unsalted butter )
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly scraped / ground Coconut
- 1/2 cup candied peel
- 1/3 cup each cashews, raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2tbsp Strawberry or raspberry jam
- Scrape or coarsely grind the coconut n add it to a bowl /plate.
- Add the candied peel , cashew , raisins , sugar n jam to it.
- Mix them well n keep aside
- Warm the milk( just a little more than body temp..like luke warm..) and add the sugar n yeast ..mix well n keep covered for 10 mins for proofing until it turns foamy ..
- In a bowl take flour , salt n mix well..
- Make a well in the centre n add melted butter n yeast mixture to it.
- Combine everything n knead to make a dough..
- Knead it well for good 5 to 7 mins and place it in a greased bowl.
- Now cover this cling film n leave it in a warm place for 2 hrs or until the dough doubles in size..
- Now punch and knead again.
- Weigh the dough n divide into two equal n the third a little lesser portions.
- With a rolling pin roll them into rounds not too thick nor thin (chapati types) one slightly bigger than the other ..
- Now spread the filling evenly on the disc/ circle.
- Carefully place the other disc on top of it n cover it completely by pressing the edges firmly.
- With the rolling pin ..slightly roll on it for making it as even as possible...but be gentle do not put any pressure.
- Now roll out a third circle out of the little dough ball .
- Cut it into half inch strips
- Now place the strips n weave alternatively as in pic..
- Now make small holes with a toothpick for the air / steam to escape while baking..
- Brush the top with some milk n place it on a baking sheet..
- Now bake it in a preheated oven at 200°C/395°F for about 20 mins or until golden..
Yumm Yumm ready to hit the Tumm !!!
Enjoy this goodness with a hot cuppa !!!
Will post the same " with egg " recipe in my next post...